Monthly Library Newsletters to keep you up to date on Library events. Each newsletter will tell you what happened that month and what may be coming up.
Why it is important to read aloud to your child
According to the Family Literacy Foundation, the many benefits of reading aloud with children are:
- Children’s self esteem grows as they experience the security of having a parent or other caring person read aloud with them.
- Children experience increased communication with parents and other family members.
- Children are introduced to new concepts such as colors, shapes, numbers, and alphabet, in a fun, age appropriate way.
- Children build listening skills, vocabulary, memory, and language skills.
- Children develop imagination and creativity.
- Children learn information about the world around them.
- Children develop individual interests in special subjects like dinosaurs, cats, or cars.
- Children learn positive behavior patterns and social values.
- Children learn positive attitudes towards themselves and others.
- CHILDREN LEARN THE JOY OF READING!
Excerpt from American Library Association1996–2016 American Library Association
You are welcome to visit the library for books to read with your children.
Young Reader’s Choice Award Junior Nominees
The Young Reader’s Choice Award Nominees are chapter books selected by the Pacific Northwest Library Association. It is the oldest children’s choice award in the U.S. and Canada. Thousands of students throughout Washington, Oregon, Alaska, Idaho, Montana, British Columbia and Alberta read the YRC nominees. Students in grades 3-6 who challenge themselves to read two or more of the nominees have the privilege of voting for the best book.
Montana Treasure State Picture Book Award
This award was started in Missoula in 1990 and has been a popular activity in school libraries ever since. All over the state teachers and librarians read the 5 nominated titles to their classes, grades K-3. Children enjoy voting for their favorite! We are almost finished reading all 5 books and will be voting soon! The winning book is announced in April.